The very first BARFAA conference in 1994, hosted by Dr. Leslie Eisenberg at State Historical Society in Madison, WI.
The Midwest Bioarchaeology & Forensic Anthropology Association was founded in 1994 by Dr. Leslie Eisenberg (Wisconsin) and Dr. Stephen Nawrocki (Indiana), with special help from Dr. Anne Grauer (Chicago). Our goal was to support communication between physical anthropologists and interested students on both formal and informal levels. Our organization consists of over 300 members who have a common interest in bioarchaeology, paleopathology, and forensic anthropology. Membership to our organization is free and is open to all interested parties. We meet annually in late Fall. The proceedings of our meetings are published online, and usually include abstracts and submitted papers by participating researchers.
The panel at BARFAA hosted at Ohio State University, by the Graduate Students in Anthropology Association, in 2013
The local arrangements committee at OSU wearing the official "Death To Vitruvius" t-shirt for BARFAA 2013
The topical focus of our organization and our annual meeting is the excavation, curation, and analysis of human skeletal remains. Our goal is to provide a forum through which professionals and students can share information concerning results of analyses, new methods and techniques of data collection, curation issues, current legal issues, forensic applications, and teaching strategies. Unlike many professional meetings where most of the presentations and resulting discussions are dominated by faculty members and professionals, the annual BARFAA meetings strive to encourage student participation at all levels.
Past Meeting Locations
- 2015 - University of Illinois, Chicago IL (October 23-25), by Dr. Sloan R. Williams
- 2014 - Grand Valley State University, Allendale MI (October 17-19), by Dr. Gwyn Madden
- 2013 - Ohio State University, Columbus OH (November 8-10), by Graduate Students of Anthropology Association
- 2012 - Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Carbondale IL
- 2011 - Illinois State University, Normal IL
- 2010 - Purdue University, West Lafayette IN
- 2009 - University of Indianapolis, Indianapolis IN
- 2008 - Grand Valley State University, Allendale MI
- 2007 - Midwest Museum of Natural History, Sycamore IL
- 2006 - Illinois State Museum, Springfield IL (November 3-5)
- 2005 - Indiana State University, Terre Haute IN (Oct. 7 - 8), by Dr. Shawn Phillips
- 2004 - Oklahoma Archaeological Survey, University of Oklahoma, Norman OK (Oct. 29 - 31), by Kent Buehler
- 2003 - Loyola University, Chicago IL (Oct. 10 - 12), by Dr. Anne Grauer
- 2002 - University of Indianapolis, Indianapolis IN (Oct. 18 - 20), by Drs. Stephen Nawrocki, Christopher Schmidt, & Gregory Reinhardt
- 2001 - Wichita State University, Wichita KS (Oct. 5 - 7), by Dr. Peer Moore-Jansen
- 2000 - University of Missouri, Columbia MO (Oct. 20 - 22), by the Anthropology Students Association
- 1999 - Michigan State University, East Lansing MI (Sept. 24 - 26), by Drs. Norm Sauer & Todd Fenton
- 1998 - University of Iowa, Iowa City IA (Oct. 16 - 18), by Drs. Robin Lillie & Shirley Schermer
- 1997 - Loyola University, Chicago IL (Oct. 3 - 5), by Dr. Anne Grauer
- 1996 - Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo MI (Oct. 11 - 13), by Drs. Tal Simmons & Bob Sundick
- 1995 - Northern Illinois University, Dekalb IL (Sept. 29 - Oct. 1), by Drs. Maria Smith & Denise Hodges
- 1994 - State Historical Society, Madison WI (Sept. 30 - Oct. 2), by Dr. Leslie Eisenberg
For hotels in the LUC area, please take a look at this list of Hotel Recommendations. The closest hotel to the Lakeshore Campus is the brand new Hampton Inn – Chicago North/Loyola Station.
Parking $7.00 flat rate, no overnight parking
- P1 Lot (Main Parking Garage) - corner of West Sheridan and North Winthrop Avenue
- P2 Lot (Fordham Garage) - behind the Granada Center at 6439 North Sheridan Road
Other Useful Resources
Please download the Registration Form, fill it up and send it in according to instructions provided within.
Download the Abstract Submission Form, fill it up and send it in per the instructions provided within.
Check out the Presentation Guidelines for BARFAA 2016.
Download this year's schedule.
Download this year's list of paper and poster abstracts.
Check back this space for news and announcements in Bioarchaeology and Forensic Anthropology.